Friday, January 27, 2012

Appleton Manor

Quite a while ago, I wrote a blog about John Henry Livingston's first daughter, Katherine. Thirty six years older than daughters Honoria and Janet, Katherine had married and moved to England by the time Alice was moving into Clermont and beginning to redecorate (and revitalize the gardens that Katherine had once cared for).

In her elder years, Katherine remained separated from her husband in a house in Devon named Appleton. Much to my chagrine, no amount of internet searching could yeild me a picture of Katherine's retreat.

But while flipping through Alice's photo album of the family's years in Europe today, I noticed her penciled caption under one particular photo: "Appleton Manor." It's mostly a photo of the gardens (one of Alice's great loves anyway) and the girls, but as I often say in reference to recreating history, I'll take what I can get.




1 comment:

  1. The building in the photograph is of St Laurence's Parish Church, Appleton, taken from the south west. The gardens in the foreground are likely to be the Market Garden of Appleton Manor which is to the right of this view. Appleton, until 1974, lay in the County of Berkshire, but along with other villages and towns in the area was transferred to the County of Oxfordshire. The City of Oxford is about six miles to the north east of Appleton. If I can be of any further assistance, please let me know. (ml@coolibah.net). Michael Livingston

    ReplyDelete