Tuesday, September 11, 2012

A Ghostly Preview: Legends by Candlelight 2012

As the weather chills, Clermont is diving headlong into Halloween.  And we are just thrilled.  Okay--at least I am just thrilled.  Legends by Candlelight is my favorite annual event around here, and I love to put my all into it.

The Legends by Candlelight Spook Tours are on October 19 & 20, 26 & 27 this year, but for me it's been Halloween for a few weeks now.  I've been writing scripts, twisting the arms of volunteers, and sowing excitement among my staff (my newest ghost-actress immediately started doing extra research on the story of Nancy Shippen, who's sorrowful tale she will be relating).  I've even been able to squeeze in the time to make a new working-class costume for one of Margaret Beekman Livingston's servants (at right and below).  This is an excitement because it enables us to show with more accuracy the great diversity of clothing worn in the 18th century, when previously we had been focusing primarily on upper class clothing.



So what's new in 2012?  For one, enough people have been knocking down my door to participate that I've added two more ghosts to the tour, increasing the overall length by about 7 minutes.  New ghosts, new stories, and the inevitable return of our imposing Margaret Beekman Livingston and the even-more-imposing Chancellor Livingston will keep the event fresh for our devoted returnees.  I've even incorporated the stories of the longtime Livingston/Germantown residents, the Minkler family in two different generations.

And of course to create the right atmosphere we will have the Trail of Pumpkins leading up to the mansion, lavish historic 1920s decorations throughout the house, and our campfire with free marshmallows for toasting.

Reservations open on October 1st.  Tickets are $10 for adults, $5 for children 12 and under.  Tours run from 6:00-9:00.

No comments:

Post a Comment